How to access the Transition, Intervention and Liaison (TIL) mental health service

Within the NHS in England, there are a range of mental health services that provide different types of care and treatment. This includes dedicated mental health services for service personnel approaching discharge from the British Armed Forces and veterans.

If you think you or your partner/spouse may be struggling to cope, the Veterans’ Mental Health Transition, Intervention and Liaison Service (TILS) and the Veterans’ Mental Health Complex Treatment Service (CTS) can help.

Available across England, both of these services are provided by specialists in mental health who have an expert understanding of the Armed Forces.

The TILS is for both serving personnel approaching discharge from the military and ex-forces with mental health difficulties. The service provides a range of treatment, from recognising the early signs of mental health problems and providing access to early support, to therapeutic treatment for complex mental health difficulties and psychological trauma.

Help may also be provided with housing, employment, alcohol misuse and social support.

Accessing the TILS in your local area is quick and easy:

•If you are due to leave the Armed Forces, the TILS will work with the MOD to offer you mental health support through your transition period and beyond
•Your assessment may find that other NHS services can provide more relevant support. If this is the case, the TILS will help you access these services, which could include talking therapies or treatment for other conditions, such as eating disorders or psychosis.
•If you have significant mental health difficulties that are military related and have not improved with previous treatment, you will be referred to your local CTS.

Contact details and further information:

You can contact the service direct (see below) or ask your GP or a military charity to refer you.

•North of England services: call 0303 123 1145 or email
•Midlands or East of England services: call 0300 323 0137 or email
•London or South East of England services: call 020 3317 6818 or email
•South West of England services: call 0300 365 0300 or email

To access these services you must:

•be a resident in England and have served in the UK Armed Forces for a full day
•be registered with a GP practice in England or be willing and eligible to register with a GP
•provide your military service number or another form of eligibility.

Top tips for getting the right care and support:

Register with a GP: It is important to register with a GP, rather than wait until you need treatment. Visit the NHS website to find out details of GP practices in your local area.
Tell your GP that you’ve served in the UK Armed Forces: Ask for the term ‘military veteran’ to be recorded in your patient record in the GP computer system. This will help your GP to better understand any military related health conditions that you may have and ensure that you are referred, where appropriate, to dedicated health and wellbeing services for veterans.
Give your GP the paperwork that your military medical centre gave you, including any medical records: If you’ve recently left the forces, it is important to do this to help ensure your military health record transfers to your NHS health record. This will give your GP information on your health and ensure that any ongoing care and treatment is continued.


You can find further information on the TIL service on the NHS website

Is this answer helpful?