Get your finances squared away with the help of Veterans’ Gateway

At Veterans' Gateway we receive many calls about a wide range of financial issues, from debt advice to compensation. Here are some top tips including contact details for our partners, guidelines and essential information.

Quick tip - if you're reading any of our guides and need immediate help please get in touch with our contact centre. You can quickly get in touch via the red buttons. 

Need financial advice?

Our guides for England, Wales and Nothern Ireland and Scotland include contact details for SSAFA (the Armed Forces Charity), The Royal British Legion, Family Fund, and Poppy Scotland. Here you will find a range of help such as grants for mobility costs and household goods. You will need to be either existing or ex-service personnel, and meet certain criteria.

If you've already been receiving benefits for at least six months you may be eligible to receive a "budgeting loan" in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Vulnerable individuals may also be eligible to apply for the The British Gas Energy Trust Grant which includes other household debts such as rent arrears and council tax.

Got into debt?

Money Helper is a Government programme that provides information on debt and borrowing, including how to take control of debt, where to get free debt advice and how to borrow money affordably. They also offer tools and calculators to help with managing debts and finances.

For those based in Scotland, The Armed Services Advice Project is a Citizens Advice service offering specific support with managing your debt.

Free and confidential advice is also available via The Royal British Legion's dedicated Benefits, Debt and Money Advice (BDMA) service which helps all members of the Armed Forces community in England, Northern Ireland and Wales. See more about this and other services.

"The help has improved my quality of life very much. I am now enjoying a life free from debt and worry." A Legion Beneficiary

Are you entitled to compensation?

As a veteran you may be genuinely entitled to recompense for injuries received during service. You also don't need to wait until you've left before claiming.

Any award you receive through the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme may be final but if your condition deteriorates it's worth checking to see if you're entitled to a review. There are several choices though so see the various review options plus details of how to apply.

If you've been injured as a result of service, or received an injury that's worsened before 6th April, 2005 you may also be entitled to a War Pension.  Our guides for England, Northern Ireland and Wales and Scotland tell you how to apply, how you will be assessed and provides further contact information and details for organisations that can help you with the process.

There are many discounts and schemes available

Thanks to a partnership between Veterans' Gateway and the Defence Discount Service, veterans can save money online, on the high street and in venues, throughout the UK with the Defence Privilege Card. Find out more about the card and how to apply.

And if you're out and about, make the most of reduced travel costs. Apply for the Veterans' Railcard and there are other schemes for war widows and veterans, enabling free or reduced travel.

Visit our Self help: Financial and money advice and browse the various sections to see more suggestions.

Contact our expert advisors who are here to help you 24 hours a day.

Is this answer helpful?