Get your finances squared away with the help of Veterans’ Gateway

At Veterans' Gateway we receive many calls about a wide range of financial issues, from debt advice to compensation, so here are some top tips including contact details for our partners, guidelines and essential information.

Quick tip - if you're reading any of our guides below and need immediate help from our contact centre please use the red buttons above.

Need financial advice?

Our handy guide details organisations including SSAFA (the Armed Forces Charity), The Royal British Legion, and the Family Fund, with cover including mobility costs and household goods. You will need to be either existing or ex-service personnel, based in England, NI or Wales, and meet certain criteria.

If you've already been receiving benefits for at least six months you may be eligible to receive a "budgeting loan" in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Vulnerable individuals may also be eligible to apply for the The British Gas Energy Trust Grant which includes other household debts such as rent arrears and council tax.

Got into debt?

The Money Advice Service is a Government programme that provides information on debt and borrowing, including how to take control of debt, where to get free debt advice and how to borrow money affordably. They also offer tools and calculators to help with managing debts and finances.

For those based in Scotland, The Armed Services Advice Project is a Citizens Advice service offering specific support with managing your debt.

Free and confidential advice is also available via The Royal British Legion's dedicated Benefits, Debt and Money Advice (BDMA) service which helps all members of the Armed Forces community in England, Northern Ireland and Wales. See more about this and other services.

"The help has improved my quality of life very much. I am now enjoying a life free from debt and worry." A Legion Beneficiary

Are you entitled to compensation?

As a veteran you may be genuinely entitled to recompense for injuries received during service. You also don't need to wait until you've left before claiming.

Any award you receive through the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme may be final but if your condition deteriorates it's worth checking to see if you're entitled to a review. There are several choices though so see the various review options plus details of how to apply.


If you've been injured as a result of service, or received an injury that's worsened before 6th April, 2005 you may also be entitled to a War Pension. Our guide (England, Northern Ireland and Wales) tells you how to apply, how you will be assessed and provides further contact information and details for organisations that can help you with the process.

See too more information on War Pensions and Compensation in Scotland.

If you suffer from hearing loss as a result of service you can apply for the Veterans Medical Fund Programme. Available across the UK, the fund meets the needs of those who cannot be helped via statutory services.

There are still many discounts and schemes out there!

And finally, thanks to a partnership between Veterans' Gateway and the Defence Discount Service, veterans can save money online, on the high street and in venues, throughout the UK with the Defence Privilege Card. Find out more about the card and how to apply.

And if you're out and about, making the most of these opportunities, there are several schemes for war widows and veterans enabling free or reduced travel.

Visit our Self-Help section/Finance and browse the various sections to see more suggestions.

Contact our expert advisors who are here to help you 24 hours a day.

Is this answer helpful?