Rent arrears

At Veterans' Gateway we know that day to day challenges can mean it's hard for veterans to stay on top of rent payments so here are some practical tips to help you stay ahead of potential problems.

How much can you pay?

Whilst you should prioritise paying your rent in full it may not be possible. Even if you can't manage the full amount always pay as much as you afford and make a payment plan to prevent getting into further debt.

Need advice on debts?

If you're based in England or Scotland see options for getting help from Shelter and also in Wales. Also search for your local Citizens Advice as they will be able to advise on debt issues too.

Need extra financial assistance with paying your rent?

You may also be able to claim housing benefit to pay your rent if you are on a low income. See how to do this in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Universal Credit is a new benefit that will gradually replace other benefits, including housing benefits. Find out if you eligible to apply for Universal Credit.

The Royal British Legion also has a Benefits and Money Advice Team that can provide you with specific information.

You can also use Turn2Us benefits calculator to ensure you claim all that you're entitled to.

Have you been threatened with eviction?

Although your rights as a tenant give you some protection it's always best to seek further advice as landlords do have the right to evict you in some circumstances. However a landlord needs a court order, called a possession order. This will state the date by which you should leave and if you don't your landlord can obtain a warrant of possession, allowing bailiffs to evict you.

Shelter provides specialist housing advice on eviction in England, Scotland and Wales, and SAIL can specifically help naval service veterans. In Northern Ireland contact Housing Rights Northern Ireland or your local Citizens Advice. See too more on possession action in England, Wales and Northern Ireland and in Scotland.

If your landlord does not follow each of these steps, it may be an illegal eviction. For information on the possession procedure, visit the Citizens Advice website.

If you live with your private landlord, they can evict you without a court order. In this case, you should seek advice from your local Citizens Advice or an expert housing adviser.

Eviction in Scotland:

In Scotland a landlord will apply to the sheriff court for an eviction order. See more information on Shelter on procedures and getting help at court.

Need to speak to someone for additional housing advice?

The Veterans' Housing Advice service has merged with Veterans' Gateway and we support veterans in finding, securing or maintaining accommodation by utilising the skills and resources of partners and organisations. Our contact centre advisors are available 24/7, supported by a resident housing specialist.

For more information, contact:

Is this answer helpful?