Accessing the NHS Veterans’ Mental Health Complex Treatment Service (CTS)

Within the NHS in England, there are a range of mental health services that provide different types of care and treatment. This includes dedicated mental health services for service personnel approaching discharge from the British Armed Forces and veterans.

If you think you or your partner/spouse may be struggling to cope,the Veterans’ Mental Health Transition, Intervention and Liaison Service (TILS)and the Veterans’ Mental Health Complex Treatment Service (CTS) can help.

Available across England, both of these services are provided by specialists in mental health who have an expert understanding of the Armed Forces.

*Access to the CTS is via the Transition, Intervention and Liaison (TIL) service. This ensures that any previous treatment and support has been considered.*

*See our guide on the Transition, Intervention and Liaison (TIL) service*

The CTS provides a range of intensive care and treatment for people with military related complex mental health difficulties, which may include (but is not limited to) support for drug and alcohol misuse, physical health, employment, housing, relationships and finances, as well as occupational and trauma focused therapies.

Once referred to the CTS, the service will aim to see you for your first appointment two weeks after this.

You will be supported by a military aware team who will develop a personalised care plan with you. This will include arrangements for crisis care.

To access these services you must:

  • be a resident in England and have served in the UK Armed Forces for a full day
  • be registered with a GP practice in England or be willing and eligible to register with a GP
  • provide your military service number or another form of eligibility.

Top tips for getting the right care and support:

Register with a GP: It is important to register with a GP, rather than wait until you need treatment. Visit the NHS website to find out details of GP practices in your local area.
Tell your GP that you’ve served in the UK Armed Forces: Ask for the term ‘military veteran’ to be recorded in your patient record in the GP computer system. This will help your GP to better understand any military related health conditions that you may have and ensure that you are referred, where appropriate, to dedicated health and wellbeing services for veterans.
Give your GP the paperwork that your military medical centre gave you, including any medical records: If you’ve recently left the forces, it is important to do this to help ensure your military health record transfers to your NHS health record. This will give your GP information on your health and ensure that any ongoing care and treatment is continued.


You can find further information on CTS on the NHS website

Is this answer helpful?