Royal Naval Benevolent Trust


More information

Telephone: 02394 216294 


Website: RNBT

Castaway House
311 Twyford Avenue

RNBT provides financial assistance and support to Royal Navy and Royal Marines personnel and their families in times of need.

For applications for financial assistance which are likely to be under £700 you can now apply online

Please email your completed form to us.

If your application is likely to require assistance above £700 then we need a report from a caseworker.

Please contact either SSAFA or The Royal British Legion (TRBL) to arrange for them to contact you. RNBT will then take action on their report. 

We also provide help, in cases of need, to serving and former Royal Naval ratings and Royal Marines other ranks, which includes Reservists; they are known as Primary Beneficiaries. We also help their partners, children and some others connected with them. Our beneficiaries are known collectively as The RNBT Family.

Are you in The RNBT Family?

We will consider applications for assistance from any member of The RNBT Family. If you fit one of the following descriptions then, apart from a few exceptions, you are almost certainly part of The RNBT Family:

  • Serving and ex-serving men and women: past or present RN rating or RM other rank, including Reservists – a Primary Beneficiary.
  • Wives, husbands and partners: dependent partner of a Primary Beneficiary with whom you live.
  • Children: under the age of 18, of a Primary Beneficiary, living or deceased.
    This may include:
    • a dependent child who is not the natural child of a Primary Beneficiary;
    • a child who has continued in full-time education on reaching the age of 18;
    • a child over the age of 18 but unable to support themselves because of mental or physical disability.
  • Widows and widowers of a deceased Primary Beneficiary, with whom you were living at the time of death, and not living with a new partner.
  • Separated or divorced wives and husbands of a Primary Beneficiary and not living with a new partner.

This is not an exhaustive list and individual circumstances can be complicated. If you have any doubts or queries, we are always ready to listen and tell you whether or not you are eligible.

How to Apply

If you are serving you should consider contacting your local RN or RM Welfare first. Or, contact your local branch of SSAFA or TRBL who will arrange for a caseworker to visit you to complete an application form.

If you need to speak to someone please ring 02394 216294 between 0800 and 1600 Monday to Friday or email . Your call will go through to the Case Coordinator who will take down your details and address your issues.

Please be ready to:

  • Prove that you or your spouse or partner served in the Royal Navy or Royal Marines (Service Number plus some details of service)
  • Provide your bank account details for urgent payments (name of account; sort code; account number – details are on your bank debit card)

Is this answer helpful?