Divorce and separation in England

A marriage or serious relationship coming to an end can be emotionally challenging. There are often many other details to sort out too, such as individual responsibilities and finances.

It is important to come to an agreement as to what kind of separation you and your partner can accept, and how it can be concluded amicably. There are many sources for advice and support, and professional help can sometimes be beneficial for both parties. See the Citizens Advice website for more information.

What are my separation options?

To avoid disagreements and costly legal fees, consider your options carefully and communicate with your partner, so that you find a solution you can both accept.

An informal separation, sometimes known as a trial separation, can be beneficial for both parties, as agreements can be made without the need for court proceedings and legal fees.

A solicitor usually draws up a formal separation. They will detail your individual finances so that issues such as property and childcare can be settled.To find a solicitor or legal adviser in your area, go to the GOV.UK website.

A divorce is usually only available if you have been married for at least one year. You will also need to provide a reason for the breakdown of the marriage, which can include unreasonable behaviour, adultery or desertion.

The Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund.

The RAF Benevolent Fund has a strong tradition of looking after the RAF Family in the UK and overseas. They support all serving and former members of the RAF as well as their partners and dependent children. They provide access to free relationship counselling and subsidised mediation sessions for both the RAF veteran community and the RAF serving community. For more information, contact:

Telephone: 0800 169 2942
Email: WelfareServices@rafbf.org.uk
Website: The Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund

Is this answer helpful?