Applying for a Disabled Facilities Grant in England and Wales

Disabled Facilities Grants (DFGs) are for adaptations to a disabled person's home, enabling them to live comfortably and independently. Visit the GOV.UK website for information about the DFG, to apply, what you will receive and the eligibility criteria.

Who can apply?

A disabled person living in their own home, on any type of tenancy, can apply. You can also apply on behalf of someone who is disabled. You must intend to live in the home for the next five years.

How to apply

You need to contact your local authority to access a DFG. They will provide you with all the information needed to complete an application.

If the work is urgent, notify your council of your circumstances. Do not carry out any work beforehand, as you will usually not receive a grant for adaptations already completed.

Who can help with applications?


Blesma work to aid limbless veterans through support for mobile and independent living. Get in touch at:

Telephone: 0208 590 1124
Website: Blesma

RAF Benevolent Fund

The RAF Benevolent Fund (RAFBF) has a strong tradition of looking after the RAF Family in the UK and overseas. They are there for all serving and former members of the RAF as well as their partners and dependent children. Their advice and advocacy service provides guidance on benefits, including applying for a DFG. For support, contact:

Telephone: 0300 102 1919
Website: RAF Benevolent Fund

The Royal British Legion

The Royal British Legion can help veterans with DFG applications. To see if the Legion can help you, contact them at:

Telephone: 0808 802 8080
Website: The Royal British Legion

Read our Disabled Facilities Grants FAQs for more information on adapting your home.

Is this answer helpful?