Support for people who misuse alcohol in England and Wales

Alcohol misuse refers to an individual consuming more alcohol than is recommended by health professionals. This can also include a person that develops health problems because of excessive drinking, or someone that feels they need to drink in order to function properly. It is often a way of trying to cope with mental health issues such as Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, depression or anxiety.

There is no clear threshold for when recreational use becomes problematic use. However, regular bingeing sessions, or finding it difficult to go for a day without drinking are strong indicators of a problem.

If you have any concerns, you should first consult your GP. They will advise you on the best course of action to take. The NHS Choices website also offers extensive information about the symptoms of alcohol misuse, and the treatments available to you.

Help from other organisations

Combat Stress

Combat Stress is the UK's leading charity for veterans' mental health. For veterans who decide to seek help for mental health issues, it is vital that any alcohol problems are addressed before treatment. The Combat Stress Veterans' Substance Misuse Case Management Service provides support for veterans with alcohol issues. The specialist team of nurses and practitioners understand those who have served and can provide advice on how and where to get help. To find out more about this service, contact Combat Stress:

Telephone: 0800 138 1619
Website: Combat Stress


Mind is a UK charity that raises awareness and provides support for a variety of mental health problems. They have information, advice and support for people with mental health problems who also have alcohol dependency and misuse issues.

Telephone: 0300 123 3393
Website: Mind

Is this answer helpful?