Financial assistance for those with mobility issues in England, Wales and Northern Ireland

Veterans who struggle with mobility due to age, illness or injury can get support from several organisations.

Typically, you may receive financial assistance to purchase mobility aids such as a wheelchair, and home adaptations such as a stair lift. You should contact your local council to find out what assistance is available in your area. Residents of Northern Ireland can find out more on the NI Direct website.

You can also visit the NHS Choices website, which outlines the various options available to you if you are struggling with mobility. They often work with local authorities through a variety of schemes to provide free or low cost assistance.

Who can help?


Blesma offer financial and emotional support to limbless veterans, helping them remain as independent and mobile as possible. The organisation offer expert advice about prosthetics, and can provide grants to assist with mobility. For more information see:

Telephone: 0208 590 1124
Website: Blesma

Naval Children's Charity

The Naval Children's Charity supports children and young people up to the age of 25 with a parent or guardian who serves or has served in the Royal Navy (including the Royal Marines, QARRNS, Reserves and Royal Fleet Auxiliary). Grants are offered for either the child or parent who is disabled.

Telephone: Caseworkers 023 9263 9534 (8.30am to 4pm, Monday to Friday)
Website: Naval Children's Charity

SSAFA - the Armed Forces charity

SSAFA - the Armed Forces charity, supports veterans through financial assistance for a variety of needs. They can help with costs for mobility and many household goods. To see what assistance they can provide, contact SSAFA at:

Telephone: 0800 260 6767
Website: SSAFA

Is this answer helpful?