Where can I find help with private landlord problems in England?

Disagreements between you and your landlord can happen when renting privately, but there are actions you can take to resolve disputes or make a complaint if the differences continue.

What problems might I experience?

Common problems may include:

  • rent disputes
  • general disrepair
  • a landlord's refusal to do repairs, or
  • harassment.

Many problems can be avoided if you know your rights and responsibilities as a tenant.

What about my deposit?

Your landlord must protect your deposit in a Government-backed tenancy deposit scheme. The tenancy deposit protection rules mean you can check your deposit at any time.

To avoid deposit disputes, have an inventory of the property completed at the start of your tenancy.

What should I do if my landlord is harassing me?

Any action by your landlord to disrupt your life or force you out of the property is harassment, and is a criminal offence under the Equality Act 2010. Visit the Citizens Advice website for more information on what constitutes harassment.

You can ask for help from your local council if you feel your landlord is harassing you.

How do I make a complaint?

For help making complaints about your landlord, see Shelter's website for complaints procedures for private tenants.

The Citizens Advice website provides information about what to do if you feel unsafe or discriminated against.

Who else can help?

Seafarers' Advice and Information Line (SAIL) is the only Citizens Advice dedicated to Naval Service Veterans. They provide expert telephone and email advice on housing issues, including private renting issues. For advice, visit the SAIL website.

You can contact Shelter's expert housing advice helpline on 0345 075 5005 or by completing an online contact form. They can give you advice about any problems you are facing with your private landlord.

Veterans' Gateway - Access to Housing Advice

The Veterans' Housing Advice service, initially provided by the Cobseo group of charities, and delivered by The Royal British Legion, Connect Assist and Shelter, has now been merged into Veterans' Gateway. 

The team aim to support veterans in finding, securing or maintaining accommodation by utilising the skills and resources of the Cobseo Housing Cluster, local authority contacts and other housing providers. Information can be accessed by telephone, email, live chat, social media, and on the website by visiting Veterans' Gateway/Self Help/Housing.

For more information, contact:
Telephone: 0808 802 1212 (Freephone 24/7)
Email: Via contact form
Website: Veterans' Gateway/Self Help. Please select housing to see all options.

Is this answer helpful?